8 Bidding Pitches Doomed to Fail

13 July 2011
cat with lopsided look
Today, I thought I'd share with you 8 of the most common bidding flops that I spotted online.

This is a free-for-all activity so we can all learn from our own and other people's freelancing mistakes.

Join the fun and help me figure out why the following pitches are doomed to fail:

1 "Bwing it on lets do this."

The person probably wants to say, "Bring it on! Let's do this!" Tweety style. The level of enthusiasm is commendable, but everything else leaves much to be desired. There is no semblance of professionalism.  

2 "Hi. My name is Adam. I am PhD."

I am Sam and I am Number 4 are fine. I am PhD is not. It's not necessary to flaunt your academic track record unless your course relates to the niche that you're hooting to win. This one-liner bid is all introduction and no action.

3 "I am article writing since one year and have a qualified team that can make it best for you."

Teams are more likely to get the job then single providers on bulk projects with short turnaround time. However, it is obvious from the above statement that the client will prefer somebody who fully understands tenses.

4 "My bid is $400."

It is good to lay out specific numbers. Without adding any details though, you create the impression that you're making a run for the money without being realistic about the job or convincing the client that you reviewed the job description.

5 "I can complete the job by tomorrow."

Promises of fast turnaround time are bound to be broken and tend to take a toll on the quality of the work turned in. This statement might immediately attract clients who need the job completed as soon as possible though. 

6 "We are a team of professionals with over 10 years of experience in article writing."

The level of experience mentioned will draw attention, but with so many providers saying almost the same thing, the pitch loses its magic. The client will further lose interest if the bidder makes no reference to the project and continues to yak about the team's mission-vision statement.   

7 "Pls. PM me."

Brevity is the soul of wit. Text-speaking is not. Some outdated clients may not even know what PM (private message) stands for. It's not a good idea to riddle your bid with mnemonics and ask the client to contact you for details. It's not like you're the only provider interested in the job.

8 "I have never submitted anything before, but please give me a chance."

Touching honesty will be just as bad for the business as an outright lie. You will never be able to bid successfully at freelancing sites if you make your lack of experience the highlight of your bid. Sympathy votes might work for you in reality shows, but not in the freelance business.

Why, oh why, do providers keep on harping the same ineffective sales pitches? If you were to bid on a project, how would you market yourself? *
      Copyright © 2012 Teecup Limited. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.