The Work from Home Mom or Something Like It

07 January 2011
I just got up. I'm sure it was on the right side of the bed, but I'm feeling the pressure already. It's 7:30 a.m. and I yet have to beat tons of -- okay, I'm exaggerating, just 3 -- deadlines. While I'm trying to squeeze my brain juices, Munchkin, Vanilla and Cookie Boy managed to sneak inside the room. The kitties want their breakfast pronto. That's how it's always been in the house. The cats are my babies and I'm... well... the work-from-home mom.

Owning my time for work-from-home stints comes with a price. I'm sure *real* work-from-home moms know what I'm talking about:

The Chores

I hate getting worked up with all the domesticated duties: from doing the laundry down to cooking (my water loo!). They consume time -- which I would have spent on my writing workload. Sigh... I miss having a housekeeper around. My lair is a mess.

The only duty which I enjoy is feeding the cats. They usually get sardines or tuna (in brine) for breakfast and fresh fish or chicken for dinner. A hearty meal keeps them well behaved throughout the day. I love looking at their contented faces.

The Distractions

Being online itself presents a myriad of reasons to procrastinate. I could spend some days just cleaning my inbox, watching Naruto episodes or viewing friends' profiles and photos in Facebook. The cupboard holds my favorite junk food, and a stash of chocolates in the refrigerator awaits their greedy ogre (me). All in all, that's a lethal combination for my schedule.

The Pay

Moolah is one of the things that take me to Cloud 9. I'm not going to wear a halo on my head and tell you, "Money isn't important" because it is. I need it to pay my bills, purchase toiletries and take care of my financial obligations. Work-from-home moms require cash to buy baby formula and send kids to school. I'm glad I don't have real kids of my own.

Don't get me wrong. Working from home allowed me to earn so much more than my regular job then. It's just that no matter how great the pay is, it can't be claimed unless the goods are delivered.

That being said, I really need to resume my duties and feed my kitties their breakfast. Let me end my post with a salute to all the *real* work-from-home moms out there. I wonder how you hold up to everything. You are awesome!
Copyright © 2012 Teecup Limited. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.